Fibersail Holding B.V.
Shaping the structures of tomorrow
Fibersail shape sensor: Shaping the structures of tomorrow
A continuous and automated real time shape monitoring service for the condition and behavior of wind turbine blades with a simple and efficient way of integration.
Unidentified loads on blades leads to underperformance
(2% to 10%) and an increased risk of failure and maintenance costs
(10%) during operations. The high safety levels required, mean
structures must be built to survive excessive and unwanted loads.
A shape-sensing system based on fiber optic
technology able to measure the deformation of blades during
operation with a simple process of installation that will enable the
turbine to prevent excessive loads through the control system.
• A scalable and cost-efficient monitoring solution for wind turbine
blades and towers.
• Measures shape and curvatures instead of strains along the total
length of the blade.
• Immune to temperature changes or calibration issues.
• Easy to handle or install during the manufacturing process or
retrofitting through local teams.
• Measures the total length of the blade.
• High resolution and precision measurements.
The value proposition
- Maximised performance and reduced loads by detecting pitch and
- Prevents failures by reducing extreme loads and detecting structural
- Reduces maintenance costs by reducing loads and through remote monitoring
- Reduces cost of blades by reducing mass when the blade can control its own loads.